Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Ask Chromus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:56 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, alkaline batteries are named such because they rely on alkaline elements to generate electricity. An acid in the battery reacts with the alkaline element to generate electric current only if the circuit is closed.

Notice that the "blue blocker" sunglasses look yellow. The purpose behind this is to tint everything yellow, which has some other effects. Remember from my color rant some pages back that yellow is equivalent to -blue. Because the lenses are tinted yellow, everything you see through them has yellow added to it, the same as subtracting blue from all the colors. This turns all shades of blue to other colors, like white becomes yellow, and pure blue becomes black.
Phred
Pez-Guru
Pez-Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:30 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

is time stop possible? accelerating yourself so that seconds would seem like minutes, seems simple enough for me, but my friend says there would be no way to stop yourself after you accelerate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:31 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, this is complicated. First of all, there's no way for us to know whether it's even possible to modify our speed through time, or even if we have a speed through time. Assuming that we do have temporal speed, and that we can modify it, there shouldn't be a reason that, if we can speed it up or slow it down, we can stop it altogether.

One thing we do know is that a particle's proximity to other matter affects the rate at which that particle experiences time. The closer you are to large bodies of matter, the faster you experience time, though not by much. My guess would be that if you moved far enough away from matter, you would more and more slowly go through time, eventually coming to a point where there is no matter at all and no time passes. However, this is in reverse of what you want, that the rest of the universe slows down for you, not you slow down for the rest of the universe, so the only solution would be to scatter all of the universe to no-matter spaces, therby making you the only thing moving through time at that speed.

Right...
Phred
Pez-Guru
Pez-Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:38 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, sounds simple enough
what about time travel? so far it seems if you go fast enough, time around you slows down and everything else speeds up, thus giving the illusion of traveling forward in time, i think... but theres no theroy of going back in time... sound do-able to you?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:25 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but not really. Frankly, I don't know how I would modify the passage of time at all, except by changing my position relative to large bodies of matter. As far as we know, time travel isn't possible. I think that Stephan Hawkings sums it up best: "If time-travel was possible, we'd see tourists from the future."
beyonder
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:21 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

quick codec question here for you: DVSD: Lossless or lossy?
Clearly Insane.
Clearly Insane.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:42 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

do they make left handed mice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Phred
Pez-Guru
Pez-Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:10 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i know cuz i have one, what sort of ratio of left to right handed people is there? im hoping 1:1...

Last edited by Phred on Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zornak
Clearly Insane.
Clearly Insane.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:19 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

why do your body feel hot whenever your cold?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pez-Man
Pez-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:05 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Chromus, but Phred, wrong. FAR OFF. Not even CLOSE. You're "special."
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:46 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

DVSD is a lossy codec.

Left handed mice are made. However, the number of left handed mice made pale in comparison to the number of hand neutral and right handed mice.

According to a survey by Dr. Coren, 5% of the population is left handed. Sorry, but no 1:1 ratio. Source: http://jackie.freeshell.org/woh/test_stats.htm

If you feel hot whenever the ambient temperature is really cold, then you are probably touching something warm. Humans are odd in the way that we don't have a temperature sensor that detects strictly heat. Humans have two kinds of temperature sensors: one that detects extreme temperatures, and one that detects if the temperature is above a certain point or not. You can think of these as switches that determine how we feel. Both off: slightly cold. Extreme off, above on: slightly warm. Extreme on, above off: very cold. Extreme on, above on: very hot. If you felt hot when it was very cold, that means you were touching something warm at the same time to activate both sensors.
Phred
Pez-Guru
Pez-Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:11 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

noo, why must i be a minority! stupid lack of left handed desks, scisors, can openers... but i bet ambidextrious people are even less....
so what makes one left/right/both handed, and can one teach themselves to be ambidextrious; equally skilled with both hands?

chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:39 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, according to the same site as before, there are more ambidexterous people than left handed people.

We really don't know what causes a person to be left handed. There are many theories concerning the dominant side of the brain, the heavier side of the body, etc... There are some cases where we know how a person came to be left handed, for example: old school teachers used to force left-handed students to write with their right hands, making them right handed. Mostly, it seems to be a product of the environment you grow up in. Source: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/Members/gerald.mcmullon/reports/left/lefthand.htm
Vorpy
What's a Pez?
What's a Pez?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:00 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

chromus wrote:
Notice that the "blue blocker" sunglasses look yellow. The purpose behind this is to tint everything yellow, which has some other effects. Remember from my color rant some pages back that yellow is equivalent to -blue. Because the lenses are tinted yellow, everything you see through them has yellow added to it, the same as subtracting blue from all the colors. This turns all shades of blue to other colors, like white becomes yellow, and pure blue becomes black.

Actually, the lenses aren't adding any color, they don't produce any light. It would be more accurate to say they are absorbing electromagnetic radiation in the blue part of the frequency spectrum, while allowing other wavelengths of light to pass through unaffected. The blue light is absrobed by the lenses, and since yellow is the opposite of blue, when viewing the lenses in white light they appear yellow. They are probably made just by dying the material with a yellow dye. The dye works by absorbing blue light and reflecting other wavelengths. So when the transparent material is dyed yellow, it is absorbing blue light. Now how dyes and work has to do with the molecular structure of the dye, just like how anything is colored the way it is. Different molecules just absorb different frequencies of radiation. It probably has something to do with their electron orbitals and such, I'm not that clear on the details.
Phred
Pez-Guru
Pez-Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:51 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

<.> great, ah well, theres lots of cool people who are left handed, like link!
how do optic mice work?

Post new topic���Reply to topic ���thegreatbeyond Forum Index -> Anything. All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 19 of 66

Jump to: