Slightly better than a 6-month old PEZ!

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Unreal Tournament 2004

View previous topic :: View next topic
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:36 am� �Post subject: Unreal Tournament 2004 Reply with quote

Despite Beyonder's claim that nothing good can come of discussing FPS games, there's quite a bit to be said about UT2K4.

The graphics engine seems to be the same as in UT2K3, which means it's rather processor intensive. The main changes from UT2K3 come from the addition of a new game type (onslaught) and an old weapon (sniper rifle).

Onslaught is perhaps my favorite mode of UT2K4 to play, mainly because of the vehicles. The principle is that each team controls a master node which is linked in a grid with other nodes, as well as the other team's node. You must control a line of nodes leading to the other team's node in order to attack and destroy it. At the same time, you must defend your nodes and attack the other team's to leave them without certain vehicles or paths to your node. The onslaught map included with the demo (available at http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/) emphasizes the game mode nicely.

Of course, UT2K4 comes with the standard modes that everyone expects (deathmatch, team deathmatch and capture the flag) along with a favorite from UT2K3 (bombing run). If you've never played bombing run before, the principle is that each team is trying to put the ball, which spawns in the center of the arena, into the goal controlled by the other team while defending it's own. The catch is that, if you're holding the ball, you can't shoot except passing the ball to someone, so this mode requires teamwork.

In all, it's a good game. The demo is available for free online, which also allows you to play against others on the internet, so you can have fun with everyone else who hasn't bought the game yet.
Twilkitri
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:56 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Bombing Run is cool.

I used the worst strategy ever. If an enemy was shooting at me while I had the ball, I'd shoot the ball at them so that they got it and couldn't shoot, then I'd try to kill them off Razz

Pez-Man
Pez-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:43 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad, that's cheap. And cheap is good!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Molvaki
Pez-Eater
Pez-Eater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:23 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

They made assault a lot better. There's one which involves stealing an Ion Plasma Tank and escaping the base with it, and the part where you have to take out the generators of a mothership with your starfighters, fly into the landing bay and blow it up from within. Much fun.

I am a man of few words. My favorite ones being, "Aardvark" and "Spatula".
Post new topic���Reply to topic ���thegreatbeyond Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: