Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Ask Chromus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kamui
Pez-Worshipper
Pez-Worshipper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:27 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

What the... There hasn't been a question for over a month? NOOOOOOO! Ok random question! Why do cats sometimes leave various parts of the kill when they're done eating?
Zornak
Clearly Insane.
Clearly Insane.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:53 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

when it comes to computer, what is a restore point, how is one created, and how much space does it consume on your harddrive if you have multiple restore points?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:30 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

"[Cats] may even present [their prey], dead or maimed, to a beloved owner, perhaps expecting their owner to praise or reward them, or possibly even complete the kill and eat the mouse." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat)

Restore points are special files, often called "snapshots", made by an operating system (Windows XP and ME are typical examples) which contain information necessary to restore the system to the state it was in at the time of the snapshot. This allows an operating system to recover from some event (like the install of a defective driver) which brings the system down. Typically, snapshots are created at regular intervals (once per day or week) where each new snapshot replaces the oldest snapshot (multiple snapshots are typically kept to ensure that at least one snapshot has a working state). On Windows XP and ME, you can set the amount of space all snapshots take up on your hard drive by changing the slider in the System Restore tab in System Settings (accessible through the Control Panel or by right-clicking My Computer and clicking Properties).
Zornak
Clearly Insane.
Clearly Insane.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:04 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

what is an OGM video file type, and how do you play it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pez-Man
Pez-Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:32 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogg Vorbis powa! It is "Ogg", right? You might as well explain the .ogg files, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:45 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Pez-Man brought up Ogg, I suppose I'll have to start from the beginning:

An organization called Xiph formed around the idea that codecs (COmpression-DECompression schemes) shouldn't be encumbered by patents and should be freely shared with everyone. To this end, they came up with 3 codecs: Vorbis (for sound), Theora (for video), and Speex (for voice). An OGG file is capable of containing any of these, though Theora and Speex aren't quite ready for public use, which is why Ogg is usually confused with Ogg Vorbis.

OGM is short for OGg Media and is a container format for different forms of sound and video. Since Ogg Theora isn't ready, the video codec typically used in OGM is XviD, though the sound codec varies wildly. OggDS and RadLight Ogg Media are two programs which install the right codecs on Windows, and on non-Windows, MPlayer natively supports it. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OGM
Zornak
Clearly Insane.
Clearly Insane.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:35 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly was QModem? Was it like a BBS or maybe an early version of the internet, or both?
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:16 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

QModem was a program for Windows 3.1x that you would use to connect to BBSes. It also was able to send faxes using fax modems, and the built-in scripting engine with graphics support and dialing directory made it quite popular for use before the foundation for the internet was laid. Source: http://www.computerhope.com/software/qmodem.htm
Phred
Pez-Guru
Pez-Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:15 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

How come when you turn of your GBA, the picture just fades away, what does that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zornak
Clearly Insane.
Clearly Insane.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:08 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the safest and most effective way to clean a laptop monitor?
Phred
Pez-Guru
Pez-Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:19 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Air in a can!
G byrd
Pez-Priest
Pez-Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:56 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

how about uhmmm, Is there a country out there that has an area code of 143?

area code as in 143 XXX-XXXX

???

Zornak
Clearly Insane.
Clearly Insane.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:27 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if chromus still views this thread... but...

why/how is 0! (0 factorial) the same as 1! ?
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:04 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I apologize for taking so long to answer these questions. I�ve been quite busy recently and haven�t had the time to do any research. Here are the four answers to the four questions that have been posted since I last updated.

I can�t find any research to back me up, but the fade after an LCD is powered off seems to be a result of the GBA not forcing all the pixels to clear as it loses power. In order to understand this, a little knowledge of LCD technology is required. Each pixel in an LCD screen is composed of 3 separate layers: a polarizing filter, liquid crystal, and another polarizing filter. When electrical current is applied to the liquid crystal, it �twists� the light passing through it to match the second polarizing filter which allows light to pass through. Without electricity, the crystal doesn�t change the light and the initially polarized light doesn�t pass through the second filter. A color LCD works the same way except that there are three sets of filters instead of one. If the electrical current isn�t actively set to 0, it can slowly fade to 0, which might cause the fading to blank that you notice.

According to Apple, the best way to clean your LCD screen is to slightly dampen with water a soft, lint-free cloth and gently wipe the screen. Don�t use anything with alcohol or ammonia (like rubbing alcohol or Windex) because they might scratch the screen. Source: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60446

You said both �area code� and �country�, so I�m not sure which you�re referring to since area codes only apply within a country (or, in the case of North America, all countries on a single continent). A search of area codes in the North American Numbering Plan Administration�s database reveals that no area within North America has the area code 143. A similar search in Wikipedia�s International Dialing Codes article shows that no country has the international dialing code of 143.

As you know, x! = (x * (x � 1) * (x � 2) * � * 2 * 1). You can see that this definition can only apply to positive integers. The special case 0! = 1 came about due to the heavy use of factorial in statistics. Given x objects, there are exactly x! ways to order them (Ex: {1, 2, 3} can be ordered in 6 ways: {1, 2, 3}, {1, 3, 2}, {2, 1, 3}, {2, 3, 1}, {3, 1, 2}, and {3, 2, 1}). Logically, there is exactly one way to order 0 items (the only way to order the empty set, {}, is {}), therefore 0! was defined to be 1. If you try this in your calculator, you�ll see that the factorial is defined on the whole range of complex numbers (a + b * i, where i = sqrt(-1)), except for negative integers, because of a special function known as the gamma function, which is the generalization of factorial: x! = gamma(x + 1). This fits the special case as well: 0! = gamma(1) = 1. An unusual byproduct of this relationship is that (-0.5)! = sqrt(pi). Source: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Factorial.html

Finally, this is my notice that I no longer plan on answering any Ask Chromus questions. It�s been a great 3 years of answering questions, but I don�t have the time in the future to do so. If anyone else wants to step up and take my place, I�ll be happy to help. In case you have any more questions that need answering, check out Wikipedia or Google. Both are incredible sources of knowledge if you have the time and patience to search them. Additionally, answers to math questions can be found by looking at MathWorld. In the immortal words of Douglas Adams, �So long, and thanks for all the fish�.
G byrd
Pez-Priest
Pez-Priest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:25 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

another question do you know what episode of family guy stewie said "so you going to write that book" that whole dialogue im searching far and wide for it
Post new topic���Reply to topic ���thegreatbeyond Forum Index -> Anything. All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 65 of 66

Jump to: