Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Aldahar

View previous topic :: View next topic
Twilkitri
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:13 am� �Post subject: Aldahar Reply with quote

Just some questions about it...
Are you still making it? When will there be a demo - if there is going to be one?
What language are you using? How many people are making it?

That's all I remember of what I wanted to ask, atm...

Pez-Man
Pez-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:42 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one answer:
I'm not making it. For more information on Chromus's and Dither's game, go to http://www.aldahar.org.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dither
Pez-Eater
Pez-Eater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:04 pm� �Post subject: RE: Aldahar Reply with quote

Currently there are alpha versions posted on the page, to download and test out what we have so far. Pretty much just movement and communication. We are still developing it, however there wont be any more releases of alpha version for a while, we have decided to change alot of things, including the programming language that the client is written in. I will soon be posting information about this on the Aldahar website. It may be awhile before we are back to where we were, since we are starting again from scratch, but it will be better then ever. If you would like to be kept in the loop as to what will be going on with the development, what you can do to help us, and when the next alpha will be out, create an account on aldahar.org and check the forum often. Also, send us e-mail or a message through the site, indicating that you would like to help us out. When Aldahar is complete it will be an amazing 2d isometric MMORPG, with many great features and plenty to do. I hope to hear from you soon.

-Dither
Pez-Man
Pez-Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:22 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen, sir Dither of Aldahar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Twilkitri
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:15 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, oh Pez-flavoured one, I already knew that the Chrome-coloured one was making it. Didn't know about Dither, though.

I don't think I would be able to be of much help, as I'm learning Java *shudder* (at least it's proper Java, not JavaScript...) I know that there is a way of using both Java and C++ in the one program using the JNI, but I don't know how to use it and I don't know if it's oneway or twoway... and also, I don't even know if it's C++ that you're using :/

Dither
Pez-Eater
Pez-Eater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:49 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

We are using C++, you could help us by giving us your input on ideas, and helping test out when the next alpha release comes out. Beleive me, even people who dont know what they are doing on the internet could help, as long as they know how to click stuff and can follow directions.. heh.

Dither
Pez-Man
Pez-Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:22 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we mustn't forget Chromus, who started the idea and is another major force helping me comic!
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:03 pm� �Post subject: Details Reply with quote

First of all, Aldahar has been going on now for about 6 months. The original client was programmed in Visual Basic and it's been progressing nicely for a while now. Recently, development has stopped due to Dither and I recently entering college, but we'll find time to get it back on the road. The client has been switched over to C++, so development will start again from scratch. You can download the most current alpha version from our website: http://www.aldahar.org. If you want to create a character, just e-mail us at [email protected] with your character name and we'll make one for you. Eventually, the character creation will be automated, so don't think this is how it's always going to be. If you do decide to make a character and download the client, don't bother sending us bug reports. Because of the programming language switch, nothing from the old client applies. Expect to see a new, C++ based client in the future.
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:27 am� �Post subject: Progess Reply with quote

Yes, progess...

Although I'm not sure that's what it can be called, there has been some progress in the creation of Aldahar. First and foremost, because of college, I haven't been able to spare much time to work on it. Yes, this is the same excuse I gave for my comics. Unlike my comics, I plan to continue working, specifically during winter break. One positive Aldahar related thing that happened during college is that, upon completing my Computer Science class, I am now armed with a lot more knowledge on how to make this thing work. I am now definetly using C++ as the language for the client, and if anyone cares, the server side, written and maintained by Dither, is written in C. I'm using a library called SDL, which is short for Simple Directmultimedia Layer, for the graphics component, which makes it a lot easier to code. If anyone has any experience with SDL, feel free to give me some tips.
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:46 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you all have been very forthcoming in advice on the game, but I want to post another progress report.

Development environments have been switched, again. This time, I think I'm sticking with MS Visual C++. Problems with one of the libraries (SDL_net) caused me to switch back. Before, I was using Dev C++ with the mingw compiler. If any of you are interested in learning what it's like to develop C or C++ in the business world, mingw might be a cool thing to check out, along with MSYS, a shell for Windows. As for Aldahar, I just introduced threading, so I can run a few processes at the same time, which allows for animation! Finally, stuff that moves on it's own. I also successfully added ZLib, for compression of data so that less traffic has to flow over the internet. I'm still adding pieces in bits and starts, but a working client should be out sometime soon.
Post new topic���Reply to topic ���thegreatbeyond Forum Index -> RPG Games! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: