thegreatbeyond
Slightly better than a 6-month old PEZ!

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Best medium for Sprite Comics
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic

What in your opinion is the best medium for Sprite Comics?
.gif
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
.jpg
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
.png
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
.swf
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
.bmp (LOL)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
.pcx
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Zornak
Clearly Insane.
Clearly Insane.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:07 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

If you rock and i roll, does that mean we rock and roll?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jo-chan
Pez-Priest
Pez-Priest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:33 pm� �Post subject: Reply with quote

*bows down to the almighty .png* Professor Long's the one who first introduced me to png...now I use nothing else for my art. It's a really great quality - like gifs, but smaller in file size, and no where near as grainy and ugly as jpgs.
"DRILLMAN bionic nemisis of MegaMan" -- ebay quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chromus
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 11:06 pm� �Post subject: Tech Reply with quote

Alright, it's tech time.

BMP - 24 bit color. No animation. No compression.
GIF - 8 bit color. Animation. Loss-less compression.
JPG - 24 bit color. No animation. Lossy compression.
PNG - 24 bit color. No animation. Loss-less compression.
MNG - 24 bit color. Animation. Loss-less compression.

First of all, SWF files are not image files. SWF files are a form of compression that combines images and sound, along with supporting user input. The images you see in SWF files are actually other image files, like the ones listed above.

Second, the point of all the different image files that you find are to compress a bitmap and decompress from a bitmap. That's why a bitmap is so much larger than any other file. It's the raw data storing all of the actual color. Every other kind of image file is a compressed bitmap.

Now a little about each format:

GIF - It doesn't hold very many colors, as said above, which is how it can achieve such good compression, but practically all image viewers can decompress them. The compression technology is also loss-less, meaning no data is lost, so when you open the image, it's the same image as when it was saved. The ability to load multiple images into one file to form an animation has only increased their popularity. A problem cropping up with GIF files is that the compression technology is patented by UNISYS, so they can start charging for using the files at any time.

JPG - It holds every color you can think of, but there's a caveat: when you save the file, in order to achieve the insane compression that it does, it throws out little bits of information, making the file easier to compress. That's why this format is so popular with photographs, because precise detail isn't important, but for precise pictures, where every pixel matters, this isn't a good format. This format is also able to be decompressed by almost every image viewer.

PNG - Portable Network Graphics. Similar to a JPG, except that its compression is loss-less. It also uses a patent-free compression technology, which is starting to attract many website creators. When it is used properly, it can make files that are smaller than GIF files. Many, but not all, image viewers can decompress PNG files.

MNG - Multiple Network Graphics. Just multiple PNG files put in the same file for animation. Very few image viewers can decompress MNG files right now, but the format is starting to catch on as an alternative to GIF files.
Pez-Man
Pez-Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:24 am� �Post subject: Reply with quote

Arg! The smartness kills the dumb! *dies*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Twilkitri
Pez-Ruler
Pez-Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:44 pm� �Post subject: Re: Tech Reply with quote

chromus wrote:

First of all, SWF files are not image files.

Yep, except I don't think anyone actually said that they were.
Quote:

MNG - Multiple Network Graphics. Just multiple PNG files put in the same file for animation. Very few image viewers can decompress MNG files right now, but the format is starting to catch on as an alternative to GIF files.

I don't see why... they're _huge_ compared to gifs. I saved one of my avatars as MNG to see how large it was compared to the GIF version, and it... so big... gah...

Pez-Man wrote:

Arg! The smartness kills the dumb! *dies*

And with that, it's time for more!

PCX - 8 bit colour. No Animation (AFAIK). Loss-less compression
PCX files use run-length compression. This is achieved by making the last x byte numbers (gah, I can't explain it... look, a byte is 0-255, right? Well, I'm talking about the numbers 236-255 or something like that.) be a pallete reference _and_ the number. If one of these bytes are in the file, it means that the next byte's colour will be repeated that number of times - (the first number-1) (ie: 245 => 245-235 = 10). Of course, this means to get one of those as the colour, you have to put the byte for 1 then the byte for the colour, but it's reasonably efficient.
This compression is less efficient than that of a GIF file, making it larger for the same amount of colours, and it can't be animated.
So you may ask: Why would anyone in their right mind use PCX files?

Because they're _very_ easy to decode.
That is all.

Post new topic���Reply to topic ���thegreatbeyond Forum Index -> Anything. All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: